Monday, May 24, 2010

Friend #30

I curse the day I was named. Kirsten? Why couldn't I have been Kristen, Kristy, or Christina??? No one ever gets it right; the boss I've known for three years still calls me Kristen at times. Add that to my last name - Peters (not Peterson, mind you!) and we've got a recipe for some shenanigans.
I met Katie today after speaking to her on the phone many times in the past two months. Katie is the receptionist at the doctor's office where I will have my surgery in two weeks. I called last week and asked her to send me an email with details of my surgery, ways to prepare, etc. Katie said she'd get the email out right away. Six days later and I still didn't have an email from her. I called her back today.
"What's your name?"
"Kirsten...Peters"
"Ohhh! Kristen! Yes, I emailed you last Wednesday, did you check your spam folder?"
"There was nothing in my spam folder. Could you re-send it?"
"Ok, I just did..." Silence as I waited for my email....it was a very long pause.
"It's not showing up," I stated. Katie then put me on hold.
It turned out that she had sent the email to "kristen.peters@...." Go figure.
She apologized a trillion times and sent it again. This time I received the email. Four minutes after Katie and I hung up, I had to call her back with a question.
Laughing, I said, "Sorry, I know I just hung up with you but I have a question..."
"Ok, what's your name?"
"Uhhh, Kirsten. Kirsten Peters...I...just...spoke to you."
"Oh! Yeah, Kristen! Did you have a question?" Urg!!!! Didn't we just have a conversation about my name???
Fast forward 30 minutes and I was in the doctor's office to sign some papers I hadn't signed at the last appointment.
"It's great to finally meet you in person!", I tried to sound excited.
"Ok, sign in. What's your name?"
"Kirsten...Peters...we spent the last hour on the phone with each other." She got my chart.
"Ok, did you have an appointment? I don't see your name, Kristen."
After I calmed myself from what could have been a heart attack, I reminded her of the paperwork. "I'm SOOO sorry about the email mishap...I didn't read your chart correctly."
I tried not to lose it, "It's ok, it happens all the time." I just wanted to sign the damn papers and get out of there. Done. Signed. Ready to walk out the door.
"Bye Kristen! We'll see you on Thursday for your appointment!"
Gah!

2 comments:

  1. Scary if they can't read your chart right to get your name right. Hopefully she is not the one writing up your procedure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Kirsten Peters too and the exact same thing happens to me all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete