Sunday, May 2, 2010

Friend #19

In Arizona, very very few people you meet are born and raised here. It's the melting pot of the Southwest. Arizona must be the El Dorado of life changes. This is where young men and women move after college to start their own life, and it's a great place, the Valley of the Sun, because much of it is new and young people run it.
Today I met James, from Alabama. He grew up there and now lives in Tucson although he works in Tempe. He would move to Phoenix but his daughter lives in Tucson with her mother. The major topic of our conversation was about how different people are in Phoenix, than in other parts of the U.S.
People here tend to have little or no patience for older snowbirds. We cringe when winter comes around because we know that the roads will be slower, and restaurants will be filled with eldery eaters. We rejoice when Easter comes around because we know that's typically the date which becons the elderly back home.
I sure hope that when I'm older and lose my ability to drive the speed limit, that the younger people will be more patient with me than I have been with those older than me. Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment