Friday, May 14, 2010

Friend #25

I could never be a police officer. I'm too emotional. I'd pull someone over and either let them go (after hearing a sob story) or I'd kill them (for being a jerk). I admire good cops - the ones who are in the career to make the world better, not to prove they're powerful or better than everyone else.
I met my school's substitute deputy, Rob, who is a very good cop. He loves being around teens who are at-risk for not making good choices. The kids love him because he shows respect for them, even when he has none. He levels with the teens and tell them what the possible consequences are for the choices they are thinking of making. They really listen to him and respect that he's not judgemental. Rob has no children of his own, but would like one or two. He says that this job (being a sheriff's deputy 5 days a week and a school deputy one day) shows him that people can change with a little hope and a good role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment