Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Friend #20

I love doctor appointments. For some reason, I enjoy finding out that I'm healthy, or that there's some new theory on aging that lends itself to a new trial of some herb I should start taking, all for the low co-pay of $10. I don't like waiting or getting undressed, however. That part makes me frustrated because I never seem to remember to bring a book and my phone always dies out while I wait.
My new friend is my new nurse. I will be having elective surgery in June and Nurse Heidi is awesome. First of all, she told me to get undressed and left. Before I even had my clothes off, she was back in (there was a partition between me and the door), getting things ready for me. I said, "Uhm, I'm not done, yet." In her nasaly voice she replied, "Yeah, we're kinda fast here. We figure you'd freeze if we waited as long as other doctors do." Sweet!, I thought.
After my exam, Heidi told me I could get dressed again. I was moved to another exam room for Part Two of my visit and she said, "Guess what? I've gotta get you nekked again...are you gonna require me to buy you dinner first?" We laughed and I was put at such ease. She reminded me of my Wendy - open, honest, and true to herself.
I'm sure I told Heidi many times that she rocks, and she seemed to know. I told her that I'd schedule my surgery for June and she told me that she'd make sure she was my nurse that day so she can force me to "get nekked" once more. We laughed some, but she sensed my nervousness. "Oh, honey! If it helps, I'll wear a clown suit on the day of your surgery to make you happy!" It's a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment