Monday, May 10, 2010

Friend #23

Today I had the most wonderful feeling with my new friend because it involved physical contact of the best kind. Amira is the 7 week old daughter of one of my former students. To me, there is nothing, nothing like holding and snuggling with a newborn. My students know this well, because whenever they bring in their babies to visit, I don't let them go until it's time (for a change, feeding, or time to teach).
Although I didn't have a real conversation with Ms. Amira, I told her how much I hope her future is protected and fair. I hope that her father (who was my student last year and is a nice gentleman) and her mother, can patch up their differences and immature emotions in order to raise Amira with her best interests in mind.
I spoke to Amira's mom about this and at the young age of 16, she knows how stupid she was to have sex at 15, to trust that the boy she was dating at 15 would be the same man she would want to marry later in life. They are not together. In fact, they broke up before she knew she was pregnant. Amira's life has little hope, statistically speaking. Her mother had to drop out of school. Her dad graduated last year, but hasn't gone to college and works a minimum wage job.
If it takes a village to raise a child, Amira will need it. I have no doubts that her mom is and will be a great mother, but she's just a baby herself.
There are so many things I wish teens would learn are bad before it's too late: drug use, alcohol abuse, sex, speeding, and smaller things like not paying attention in school or listening to the lessons our elders try to teach.
Amira - Good luck in life. Be better than the example that has been given to you. And know that I will always be here to snuggle with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment