Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Friend #28


I changed a vote today! I actually changed someone's mind minutes before they cast their vote.
Today is Voting Day for the big Prop 100 in Arizona. A "Yes" vote will add a 1c tax which will go toward education and public safety - the backbone of every community. A "No" vote will result in schools having to make even more devastating cuts. To me, this means more students per class, less teachers in my school, less money for supplies, no books ordered, the list goes on. I've completely given up on ever getting a newer computer than my 2002 one in my classroom.
The voting line was very long this morning. I could have waited until after work to vote, but it was really important for me to get the "I Voted" sticker to wear to school today.
I was surprised that as many, if not more people showed up for this vote than for the Presidential election in '08. Good. I've always said that local elections affect us much more than national elections.
Jody was behind me in line today. She is a seemingly educated, pleasant girl/woman/lady in her 20s. She has no children, but wants them some day.
A few of us were passing the time in line talking about the jobs we were going to be late for after standing in the line forever. When I mentioned that I'm a teacher, a few people said what I hear a lot, "Oh Bless you! We could never teach with how kids are today! Good for you! How secure is your job? My sister/aunt/dad/neighbor is a teacher, do you know him/her?"
Jody asked me right out, what this Prop 100 would do for me. Before answering, I asked her what the popular perception is right now. She replied that she is planning to vote against the proposition because she thinks the money should make it to the classrooms, not admin costs, building fees, and committees that would decide how to spend the money.
This was my opportunity to say what I could to guarantee that I've done the research and I am confident that the money will go to ME in MY CLASSROOM. That I don't ask for a raise, in fact, I haven't gotten a raise in two years. That my job will be "not impossible" if the prop passes, but nearly impossible if it doesn't. (At this point, I'm sure glad I've done my research!)
Jody and I talked about how education is different from ten years ago. Teachers are competing with video games, ipods and cell phones. I sure as hell don't have blinking lights, wi-fi, and colorful graphics. Although I am compatible with students who use a Mac or a PC, my lessons are not personalized. I do not have apps, youtube, or touchscreen. I am a human, trying to make metaphors and plotlines sexy.
Sure, there are ways to teach my topics in an engaging manner, but that costs money.
I can have my students research global warming, or I could bring them on a trip to show them the effects first-hand.
I would love to have more computers in my class but it would just be nice to have desks that aren't so cracked that they pinch kids' legs when they sit down. I'd love to afford educational posters for my room instead of the handmade ones the students make using faded, worn-out markers on the unused side of a poster board. And I'd like a cabinet to store my things in that I didn't have to personally purchase at Goodwill.
I changed Jody's vote today. She asked me to wait for her to finish voting. I went first, praying that others in Arizona would color in the same line I did. I waited outside for Jody. When she came out, she handed me her business card (she works at a consulting company) and asked me to email her in the fall when I reap the benefits of the 1c sales tax.

No comments:

Post a Comment