Friday, April 16, 2010

Friend #5

Today I met Sean. He is the assistant manager of my Blockbuster (don't you love how we say "my" when talking about anything within 5 miles of our homes???).
About two weeks ago, I asked a really embarassing question and I had to make it right today.
Being a teacher, when I want to show a really really good Rated-R movie I either have to view it ahead of time and write down the exact minute and second that boobies or swear words appear and be ready for battle when it comes time to show the film in class. I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed by the boot-camp-like training it takes to do this, or the fact that the vast majority of my students are over-18 and I have to do it anyway. I needed a way out. My home life was suffering.
So last time I visited my Blockbuster I smoothly asked the boy at the counter, "Hi, Sean. I have a question. Er...um...uhhhh...you know how in 'Knocked Up' the guys are in the process of making an adult website that tells you the exact time in movies where nudity is shown??? Well, er...uhhh...do you know if anything like that really exists?"
Without missing a beat or letting any form of snicker sneak out, Asst. Manager Sean replied, "Oh, yeah! Totally! Mr. Skin.com! It's totally real!"
I guess I should have been concerned that my Blockbuster boy knew so much about this, but I so was focused on getting out of there that I really didn't mind.
I entered today, hoping he wouldn't be working. But oh yes, he was. "Hi, welcome to Blockbuster!" said a forgetful Sean. Or so I thought.
We quickly picked out our weekend movies and headed for the checkout. "Did you ever check out the website?" the little twerp asked. I suppose you don't see much action at Blockbuster so when you have a nervous customer/teacher/mom ask crazy questions, you're probably going to make a note in her file on your little computer saying, "Remind Kirsten Peters that you remember her!" just to keep up the embarassment.
I told Sean that I did check out Mr.Skin.com and didn't find what I was looking for. He asked me if I taught at the high school down the street, which is where he went two years ago. He loved the classes where teachers show "rad movies, not the lame documentaries on herpies." I like to think that I show "rad" movies. He looked down at the movie I was returning. "Grease, huh? Man I hope you didn't show this one!"
"I did, and my students loved it! Even the toughest gangsters were into it!"
For ten minutes we debated the educational value of Grease, discussed "rad" documentaries, and suggested a handful of films for each other to watch. He suggested things like the Mortal Combat series; I offered up "Higher Learning" and "Dead Poet's Society" which he shrugged off as teacher films.
All in all, I now have a new friend in my Blockbuster Assistant Manager. Maybe some day I'll invite him over for popcorn and teacher movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment