Sunday, April 25, 2010

Friend #13

Kimlee is Friend #13. She intrigues me because she had the guts to name her two boys the coolest names ever: Zion and Kingston. She can get away with it because her husband is from Jamaica and I'm jealous because I wish my Scandanivian roots had cooler names than Sven or Thor.
Kimlee is the person who oversees the ELL teachers in my district. She has a voice like honey that's been sitting out in Brooklyn for three days. Very soothing with a hint of East Coast spice. I briefly met Kimlee last year when she came to my school to give a brief meeting. She was pregnant with her second baby. My staff was eager to get out of the meeting because I was throwing a party at my house right afterward. Kimlee used to be a teacher. She told me that day that she missed the comraderie of working on a personal level with other teachers. She now works in a corporate environment where you get promoted for being professional and serious all the time. Needless to say, there aren't many corporate bonfire parties like the one I was holding that evening. Even though I didn't know Kimlee, I sensed a sort of despiration for adult time with other teachers so I invited her to the party. She couldn't make it, but I noticed a sparkle in her eye just for being invited.
When I had a looong conversation with her this time around, I learned so much about her and her family. I invited her over for a family BBQ when summer comes around. Maybe I'll get some goldfish before she arrives, just so she can name them for me : )

No comments:

Post a Comment