Thursday, July 29, 2010

Friend #53

Her name is Maggie. I met her today at our first teacher and staff meeting of the 2010-2011 school year.
Maggie is one of those people who look totally normal at work, but probably dress and accessorize like a club kid once they get home. She will be the receptionist at our new online school next door to the existing traditional school. I love meeting people that take me aback after I get to know them. I like to think I am like that: I am addicted to nice, high heels and dress rather conservatively at work but am a true hippy at heart and at home.
This is what I found out about Maggie: Her maiden name was Maggie Garcia. Her married name was Maggie Nunez. While going through her divorce, her lawyer instructed her that she had the option of changing her name (her lawyer actually meant, change her name back to Garcia.) Maggie jumped on the opportunity to let her 30-year-old self expression shine. She thought. She quizzed friends. She debated. Then she went to the courthouse.
She asked to be called Maggie Shinesbrightly. The judge gave her a look that asked, "Are you serious?" and then approved her name change.
So she is officially Maggie Shinesbrightly - Maggie Shines for short. I love that. I love that this woman wanted to give herself a name that shows the world how she sees herself.
In her personal life, Maggie is an artist. She plays numerous instruments, has a turn table, and her own studio in her home. But at work, she sits behind a grey metal desk and answers the phone.
How great would it be if we all re-named ourselves in our 30's? I'd be Claudia Wishingwell. Or maybe Serena Brasilia.

1 comment: