Monday, July 26, 2010

Friend #52

It's always interesting to see the world as a child sees it. Notice I said "interesting", not "cool" or "amazing."
Because Jackson's dad is an award-winning swim coach, Jackson has joined the swim team at the tiny age of five. And he's a tiny five, even though he'll be six in five days. That's something I need to remember in my next life: If you want tall children, breed with a tall man. I digress. Because he is so small, he is reluctant to go to team practice twice a week, since it is a team for ages 7-10. Getting him in the pool usually ends up in a bribe, or a consequence to be doled out later depending on our moods.
Jack has one "buddy" (5-year-old boy code word for "that kid I always play with and don't know his name") on the swim team - Aiden. I got to meet Aiden's slim, bubbly, smiling mom, Carol also. Carol is one of those moms who has it all pulled together - the job, the family, the body, all at the age of about 40.
Carol and I sat together at practice and I learned that she is a business owner and creates some sort of hair bow thingy for babies that she sells online. Oh, and did I mention that she has a slammin body??? She works out every day. Every day. And then there's the little job of raising four kids and supporting her husband who is getting his PhD.
I had to remind myself of all that I do: teacher, partner, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, volunteer, pet owner. Some how, it still seemed inadequate.
To top it all off, on the drive home Jackson pointed out - with NO prompting or discussion from me - that my tummy goes out ("Like this" he said as he made a round Santa belly gesture) and Aiden's mom's tummy is straight ("Like this" as his little hands went straight down his tummy." I asked him how I can fix that. "You have to exercise, Mom" and I reminded him that I use the treadmill nightly, but he interrupted, "No, you have to do this..." and made a weightlifting gesture. He was serious.
Am I doomed to have to hang out with larger moms just so my child will see me as healthier than others? How much does Jackson see weight in society? And where did he learn all of this???

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a kid to point out your muffintop. Nora was kind enough to point out I have "fur" on my face.

    ReplyDelete