Monday, June 28, 2010

Friend #44

Because I am home alllll day long in the summer (it's true, he pretty much stay home and succumb to boredom), I am the official appointment maker and follow-througher in the house. Between dog haircuts, kids' doctor appointments, birthday parties - and the necessary birthday present shopping - I am tired. I can write appointments on the calendar, in my phone, even confirm appointments, and I'll STILL forget. For example, two weeks ago, Mike was bitten by a scorpion while relaxing before bed. A rage from the depths of hell blew from Mike's soul; one that lasted a good 30 minutes til that "little fucker" was found. His anger yelled at me when I tried to help, and yelled when I stood by watching his tools of death: a screwdriver and a flashlight. There nothing I could do.
Mike killed the scorpion on the head of the bed next to the curtains while steam blew out of his ears. I had never been more relieved to go to bed - ever. That relaxed mindset flipped the next morning when Jackson announced that there was a dead scorpion at the foot of my bed.
Immediately I called our exterminator. We weren't set for a visit for 2 weeks. I had to wait and hope nothing showed up. I made the appointment for Saturday. I received an appointment confirmation for Saturday. On Saturday, our 8-10am window came and went. I called, because again, appointments are my responsibility, although I was looking weak right about now. There was no appointment made, but there was a note that I had called. Urgh. I made an appointment for today, between 8 and 10am, with apologies from the phone scheduler.
So this morning, Eric came over at 8am. Eric is obviously a morning person. I, on the other hand, rolled out of bed at 7:56am. As he sprayed the interior of our house, Eric commented on every single framed picture we have up. He asked if we travel. He played with my three dogs as he told me stories of his two dogs. He told me about his friend's dog who just died last week. He asked me if we got our lamp at Ikea. He told me about every item in his house that came from Ikea.
This little sprout of a man would not shut up! But his magnetic smile kept me following along. In the garage, "Whoaaaa who skates???" I told him that my son skateboards. He went to the backyard and a trillion questions and comments streamed about our archery set, our chickens, our diving board, our skate ramp. He said his wife is learning to skateboard (whoa! He's married??!? I guess it's possible...)
Eric reminded me of a curious 6-year-old neighbor kid who won't leave the neighbors alone. A Dennis the Menace, of sorts.
Eric asked me to fill out a questionnaire about him. I was nice, complimentary. He said that a good survey results in him being our exterminator next time. So every month from now on, Eric will be joining us for a bit of curiosity and random conversation. yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment