Thursday, June 24, 2010

Friend #43

One of the "new, exciting" things we were supposed to learn at this week's "Technology Seminar from Hell" was how teachers can use cell phones in class. This is neither new or exciting. I have tried this in an attempt to "join them" after many tries to "beat them." Cell phones and ipods - but mainly cell phones - are the biggest roadblock for teachers these days. I now add Cell Police Officer to my title, and that seems to be all I do in the classroom the past few years. Five years ago it was easier because only a few students had phones and I could take them away during class time. Now, it can be a legal issue. Think about it: if I take a cell phone away and do not return it after class, the kid goes home and encounters some sort of distress where they need to call for help and I have their phone. Parents can sue the school now. Crazy, huh? Not to mention the number of calls students receive from their parents during class time, and if I don't allow them to take the call, parents get very upset.
One of the big proponents of using phones in the class is Laurie, who was leading the conference. She showed us websites like Polleverywhere.com, where teachers can have students text in their answers to a class poll. We had to do this every minute or two in the seminar for three days. It got very old. I voiced the fact that some students don't have phones and may be left out, and others pay for their texts (and what student wants to pay for educational texts??)
Laurie ignored my comments and continued telling the audience that this is a great way to use cells. I totally disagree, but that's beside the point.
On Day Two of the seminar, I found myself teaching a baby boomer teacher how to text so that she could participate in the polls. Laurie came around to our table and witnessed this. "It's lucky for you to have been seated next to a 15-year-old who can teach you!" (the 15-year-old she referenced was me). It has been said that I look very young for my 34 years, but 15 was just offensive. I failed at teaching the other teacher how to text because even with her reading glasses, she couldn't see the tiny letters on her phone.
Later in a breakout session, Laurie used polleverywhere.com after showing us a narrative PowerPoint with music that her 10-year-old son had created in school. The participants ripped the presentation apart because her son had not fulfilled his teacher's assignment as we knew it to be.
I got the chance to approach Laurie and one of her co-planners. I told them of all my qualms (regarding the seminar in general and texting in the classroom.) They responded by assuring that not all students were like mine, and that most students can handle using cells in school.
I asked Laurie how long she has been a teacher. Her response? "Oh, I'm not a teacher! No no no no! I have a degree in computers and my job is to pass along cool stuff to teachers!"
Me: 1 Laurie: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment