Thursday, June 3, 2010

Friend #36

Suzanna is my angel and I haven't even met her in person yet.
I got phone call #1 from the surgical center where I'll be having my surgery. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm nervous. I'm so not. I'm focusing on my two week recovery after the surgery because if I think about the surgery itself, I'll start freaking about maybe not waking up and my kids becoming orphans. Yeah, not good.
Suzanna is the keeper of records at the surgical center. She introduced herself in the sugary-sweet southern accent that I long for. "Are you nervous at all, sweetie?" I explained the absence of nervousness and she understood. We went through my surgery and what would happen during every step. Suzanna praised me for my - well, Mike's - preference for a surgical center rather than a MRSA-infested hospital. Suzanna was very nurturing and motherly which is not exactly what I need, since I'm not an emotional person, but I'm sure most patients appreciate.
As asked about recovery and what to expect. "Well, you're going to feel worse before you feel better. This isn't like a cut or scrape that gets better right away. You're going to progressively feel and look worse for about three weeks and then by a month, you'll start to get better." Then she offered something very personal and comforting: Suzanna and her daughter have both had the same procedure I'm having!
Suzanna gave me her daughter's phone number and said that she'd be delighted to be a phone-shoulder to cry on during my recovery. That's going to be a huge help, I'm sure.
A few hours later, I dialed Brittany's number. I explained who I was and she had been expecting my call. We talked about what to expect (she explained that her mom can't talk about her own procedures as an employee of the surgical center) and how to best care for myself.
I can't wait to meet and thank Suzanna in person on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment