Thursday, September 16, 2010

Friends #64 and #65

I had to lump these two characters into one blog for the simple fact that for the entire hour I spent with them, they never left each other's side. And not in a good way.
Rachel and Chris are the parents of a little girl in Jack's class. We met at the Bouncy place where I brought the boys to play for an hour. Rachel introduced herself and immediately started talking about the kids' teacher Mrs. G. She asked me what I thought of Mrs. G and I told her that Mrs. G is one of my closest friends, so close, in fact, that she threw my baby shower when I was pregnant with Jack. I sensed that she wanted to gossip about my friend Mrs. G but she was cut off when her husband Chris introduced his self.
So there we stood, watching our kids bounce with Rachel on one side of me, and Chris on the other. This was a couple who didn't seem to be "in tune" with what each other was doing. Chris was talking in my right ear about his favorite band, Kiss (strange first conversation, right?) and Rachel was yapping in my ear about having Taco Bell on her shirt. Nodding in a forward direction seemed to be the way to go for me. When the kids moved to a new bouncy area, we did the three-person shuffle as we retained our positions. I tried to get away to check on Isaiah but these people just kept talking!
"...and then I told my daughter that she could not wear her jellys to school! Can you believe jellys are in style again..."
"...I just heard that Megadeth is coming to the Arizona State Fair! How rad is that? I'm gonna ask my neighbor if he wants to go..."
"...Hannah Montana...birthday party at 6pm tonight...teach Sunday school...Do you go to a gym?...Weight Watchers...my parents live off the 202 and Gilbert..."
"...when Metallica came to town I was in the 8th row...my other son broke his collar bone..."
How much can a person talk before realizing that the listener isn't listening? I remember learning the etiquette rules of conversation in 6th grade. Apparently these people didn't.
So for the rest of the year now, I will be avoiding this family at every social school event.
But before I left, they invited Jackson to their other child's birthday party next month. I'll just pretend I didn't hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment