Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Friend #57

Back-to-school time was never so apparent as when I received a phone call from my son's new school's PTA president this morning at 7am. Yes, I said 7am. 7am. Not 7pm.
Not one to give in to early-morning phone calls, I let it go to voice mail and called her back at 8am. Her name is Ramona and she is the most enthusiastic PTA mom I've ever seen, and I've seen some crazies.
Ramona wants me to join the PTA. Ramona wants me to donate cookies for the Open House. Ramona wants my money...and my time...and my soul. Well, that's what it feels like.
I understand what she's trying to do, really I do. Both of my parents were teachers AND very active in PTA. I've always been involved in my kids' classrooms and donated what I've been asked for the most part. I've gone on lots of field trips (which I'm given the five most difficult students because the teachers think I can handle them with my super teacher powers.)
As my kids get older, I'm being asked to do more difficult tasks. The one thing Ramona really wants me to do this year is....wait for it....chaperone the junior high dances!
So my question is: Do I cave now and sign up for everything, dooming myself to two years of PTA hell, or do I kindly sign up for a few manageable tasks that will not drown me?

No comments:

Post a Comment